Starting a small business of your own might feel like a big task, but with the right business idea and a proper plan, you can make it successful.
In our series of small business ideas, we bring another idea that you can make use of. For this business, you require a very low initial investment and a small space to start working.
We are discussing setting up a small-scale biscuit/cookie production unit. By doing that, you can prepare and sell biscuits either online or offline.
So, let us get started with the business idea and understand all the important details about the same:
Problems That People Are Facing
Below are some of the major problems that people are facing while purchasing biscuits or cookies:
- Not Enough Variety: Some places don’t have many different kinds of biscuits made locally, so people rely on the same kinds found everywhere.
- Quality Concerns: People often have several concerns related to the quality of biscuits prepared by big brands.
- Local Market Needs: Many people look for biscuits that taste homemade but are hard to find in stores.
As you can see in the above points finding quality biscuits and cookies is not that easy. There is a market gap and we can use this opportunity to set up our business venture.
But, before we look into the process of starting a biscuits production business, let us understand some basic requirements for this business idea.
💡Also Read: Starting a Car Wash Business
Business Idea: Who Can Start This Business?
Just like for any other business, there are some basic requirements that you need to fulfill to make it a success.
Though the business doesn’t require you to be a professional baker having the below-mentioned requirements would be beneficial:
- Passion For Baking: Having a passion for baking and experimenting with flavors and textures is important to make the business a success.
- Basic Business Skills: You will need to have some basic business understanding including business operations, customer servicing, production management, etc.
- An Initial Investment: To start a biscuit manufacturing business, you will need some initial investment for baking equipment, ingredients, and a suitable production space.
Now that you know about the basic requirements, let us move to the complete process of setting up a biscuit/cookie manufacturing business:
How to Start a Biscuit Business?
Below are some important steps that you will need to follow in order to work on this small business idea. Many of these steps are common for any business that you would be starting:
1. Market Analysis
This is one of the most important steps for starting any business. Without proper market research, you will not be able to succeed with your business idea.
Start by understanding the market demand, taste preferences of people, and your competitors. This will help you in finding valuable insights to plan your business.
2. Developing a Business Plan
Utilize all the information that you collected through your market research and prepare a business plan. You can include various things including:
- production process
- cost analysis
- pricing strategies
- marketing strategies, and more.
3. Setting Up Your Production Unit
You can arrange a small-scale production unit with all the necessary equipment and safety measures.
Below are some of the important items that you will require in the beginning:
|Mixing ingredients to form biscuit dough
|Biscuit Forming Machine
|Shaping the dough into desired biscuit shapes
|Baking the formed biscuits
|Cooling baked biscuits before packaging
|Packing the biscuits into boxes or packets
|Creating various biscuit shapes
4. Experiment With Recipes
Once the setup is ready, you can start experimenting with different biscuit recipes until you find ones that people really love.
There can be various flavors and ingredients to prepare a range of biscuits including chocolate chip, oatmeal, or even gluten-free varieties.
5. Business Registration
Get your business registered as per your local rules and regulations. Also, get important licenses and certifications required to set up a biscuit product business.
Apart from that, you can also design your packaging, brand name, logo, and other branding elements. Make your brand appealing to the customers.
6. Marketing Your Business
Once the process is up and ready, you can start marketing your business. It is your choice to sell the biscuits online or in the offline markets.
You can work on various strategies to market your small business including:
- Providing free sample packages to let people taste your biscuits/cookies
- Having a discounted subscription model for regular buyers
- Distributing pamphlets in your local area
- Collaborating with other local businesses and marketing your products
- Organizing workshops and events sharing the importance of eating quality biscuits
So, these were the steps to work on this amazing business idea. If you face any issues in the process, you can comment below and someone from our team will get in touch with you.